Sunday 3 August 2014

Scan Tool - 1st thing you must buy

Ok,

So i know there are some cars out there that dont work with scan tools, but if you have from 1998 falcon onwards, it will have an OBD2 connection. Now it is not meant to work properly with the OBD protocols but fortunatley some Boffins have created FORScan which uses the tools to speak its language.

See below photo of the one i bought


I would highly recommend this as the first thing anyone would buy. I had a rough idle for many, many years. Ford Dealers took my money to troubleshoot this, and so did local mechanics and they could not resolve the issue. In the end i was told the rough idle is common with a VCT. I accepted this information until 7 years later my friend was in a VCT and it was smooth. at that point i bought a scan tool off ebay for 15 bucks, spent a hot summers day getting it to work and then i nearly fell over when i found a fault code for a Cam Angle Sensor.

I cleared the fault codes, started the car again, *knock**knock* "CAM ANGLE SENSOR" instantly, the fault code was there.

I bought the part from ebay for 70 bucks, so less than 100 bucks i fixed the problem myself. Ford had taken well over a thousand dollars in testing and diagnosis............and they didnt even bother to scan the cars computer.

The other bonus of this, is if you are having a hard time working out a problem. Run this tool first, it might find your problem. I see it all the time, someone pop up on a forum asking for help with a problem. "definatley leads", "spark plug gap", "vacuum leak", "Fuel filter" Now i know that people on forums are trying to help, and some people are speaking from experience. But the costs to test these theories, it is alot cheaper to buy the tool, and let the car tell you what problems it has first.

The amount of problems i had trying to diagnose my rough idle, and the heartache, i wish i had the tool back in the day. I have a few times offered forum members with problems to come over and plug the car in.

At this moment i have a fault code referring to the coil pack, it is not bothering me too much, so i will keep driving it until i notice problems.

Best bang for buck tool you can own

Cheers




No comments:

Post a Comment